Pep Guardiola was initially criticized when he dumped fan favorite and former England no.1 Joe Hart,benched Yaya Toure and offloaded others(Kolarov,Zabaleta,Clichy,Navas) he felt couldn’t fit into his style of play. So far City has turned out great,one Premier league title and few other domestic cups since Pep took over as new Manchester City coach.
City is now a football force to reckon with. Alongside Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Real Madrid,the Cityzens are part of the main clubs feared to play against by opposition teams.
Pep’s 3rd season as City Boss,it’s been a whole new atmosphere for City fans. The quality of football continues to improve season after season,game after game. *Pep’s a Genius* is a very common trend but the City players too must be given credit for their standout performance. Last season,Manchester City broke the record for the highest goals scored in a Premier league season by a club.
The Manchester City first eleven is packed with talents from all angles making it a nightmare for their oppositions. Week after week,smaller Premier league sides are thrashed while the bigger boys disgraced on the pitch notably Arsenal and Chelsea.
From goalkeeper Ederson to Walker to even-improving Laporte(was rewarded with a long term contract extension 2025) to Mendy to Otamendi to German International Ikay Gundogan in the middle where the magic happens alongside midfield mastermind Kevin Debruyne and Spanish magician David Silva. Bernando Silva and Fernandinho can also feature in the midfield. Upfront you have net buster Sergio Kun Aguero and explosive wingers Leroy Sane and Raheem Sterling causing more damage from both sides. Now tell me how do you stop this City squad?
On the bench: Former African best footballer Riyad Mahrez,super sub Gabriel J,game changer Bernando Silva, young talents Foden,Zinchenko and Muric,Danilo,Fabian Delph,Stones and captain Vincent Kompany.
With this kind of star studded squad under the genius mind himself Pep Guardiola,is no wonder Manchester City demolish clubs on the field of play.
Is hard to spot out the MAIN key player in Manchester City,but most city fans would name Kun Aguero as their main man. So I’ll start from the Argentine forward.
1. Sergio Kun Aguero: He’s one of the best,prolific and consistent goalscorers both in the premier league and in the football world. Kun loves scoring goals especially hat tricks. Kun was literally the first striker to score a hat trick against Bayern’s Manuel Neuer before Messi and Ronaldo. Aguero has legendary status at the Etihad stadium,his last minute goal won Manchester City their first Premier league title.
2. David Silva: very difficult to choose the bigger focal point between the Spaniard and De bruyne but with Silva having more experience and Debruyne returning to his very best,Silva comes in as Second City main player for me. David Silva is one of the most unappreciated midfielders in the world probably due to the dominance of Ex-Barca legends Xavi and Iniesta. Silva is like a *quiet bomb* on the field waiting to produce killer passes at any point in time. David Silva can play upfront or mainly in the middle but any position the Spaniard plays,he still cause serious damage to the opposition.
3. No other than Belgium playmaker Kevin Debruyne. He’s returning back to his very best form after a long injury spell. On his day,Debruyne is a master of his craft. One of the best creative midfielders in the world alongside Pogba,Kroos,Modric,Ozil,Di Maria and Rakitic.
Kevin’s performance in matches sometime even overshadow that of both Aguero and D.Silva. Debruyne has been referred on numerous occasions as the engine of Manchester City. During his injury,City survived through Bernando Silva, Gundogan,D.Silva and emerging talents Foden and Zinchenko filing the void.
4. Leroy Sane and Raheem Sterling: Is become a normal phenomenon to regularly see both wingers on the scoresheet. Sane and Sterling are both fast dribblers, goalscorers and add to the firepower with hitman Aguero.
5. Mendy and Walker: Part of Pep’s attacking philosophy is the use of his wingbacks (LB/RB) when attacking. Starting from his time at Barcelona (Jordi Alba and Dani Alves), at Bayern Munich (David Alaba,Bernat,Lahm and Kimmich) now City(Mendy and Walker). Pep loves his LB and RB moving forward aiding the goalscorers with deadly crosses into their opponent box from both sides. Mendy and Walker are perfectly executing his plan.
The only backfire of this attack strategy used by City so far is shown when they try it against massive attacking sides like Klopp’s Liverpool. (Most especially Salah and Mane always capitalize on such opportunities since they have pace,wingbacks find it tough to track back).
These are the main key players of Manchester City’s SUPER SQUAD though Ederson,Laporte,Gundogan play crucial roles in the team. Nevertheless the whole squad add to the overall success of the club.
Pep won the Premier League title by a large margin last season and is currently in the driving seat for another. His main target though is the Champions league which he last won at Barcelona. Hopefully he can achieve his dream this time with the Cityzens. City narrowly won 2-3 against Leroy Sane’s former club Schalke04 thanks to goalkeeper Ederson’s long range pass/assist then Sterling handled the rest.
Back to HOME page.